Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Monday, August 17, 2015

Tattoo & End the Stigma

Hello there!

So on Saturday I went and did something i've always wanted to do, I got a tattoo!


The design is based on the Semi Colon Movement, to help raise awareness on depression, suicide and mental illness. To help end mental illness stigma! When I was 14 years old I was diagnosed with Generalized High Anxiety Disorder and Panic Attack Disorder. I defiantly suffered since I was younger though, we just never had any idea what was going on. These are things I suffer with daily but some days are better then others. I can go weeks with having non stop good days but then have a bought of really shitty days. But I try to fight through the best I can, and this tattoo represents that. I've dealt with a lot in my short 19 years but that's just life and theres' nothing I can do to change that. I just do the best I can and live my life the way I want to. I'm also have the best support system around me, and I know they are always there if I should need them. I've dealt with this for a long time, so I have quite a bit of practice. That doesn't always make it easier though. Be a warrior not a worrier. 

I've personally never suffered from depression or suicidal thoughts but I have many friends that do. This tattoo isn't only for me but for anybody who has ever suffered with some sort of mental illness, it reminds me to have strength when I feel like giving up. It's there to remind me that I'm not the only one who feels like this, and to show others that I am there for them if they should need me! I know how scary it can be to be out by yourself while dealing with a panic attack or any issues that relate to mental illness. 

If your reading this and you don't suffer from a mental illness, please remember that we are normal people and our issue is only part of us and not us as whole. It's only a small part of our lives, even though it can seem giant sometimes. Be kind. Help end the stigma that surrounds mental illness.

If your someone who thinks they may be suffering from something, please talk to someone! Tell someone how your feeling, this is so important and please don't hide away. This is when bad things happen, I promise you that it is such a relief to tell someone and to get help if you should need it. Do not be ashamed, so many people are just like you and you are not the only one. Take comfort in that. There will always be someone there to help you, even if you feel like there isn't. Help is always there.

Anyways, I'm super happy with my tattoo and I defiantly want more now! It actually wasn't that painful, people said is would hurt a lot since it's on my hand. But it's not that bad, but it always differs from person to person since everyone has a different pain tolerance. My mum and sister also got tattoos at the same time, and they also love the ones they got!

Keep dreaming and make those dreams a reality! x

-Kaitlyn

<3

All my social media links are located to the right side of my blog! Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment